An impressive record of growth and development
Amadeus, one of the leading Global Distribution Systems, is also the youngest. We have more travel agency locations connected and more international bookings than any other system.
Brief summary of highlights from last year:
- Amadeus and its airline shareholders complete secondary share offering
- Amadeus broadens its Airline IT Services activities, with British Airways as first customer.
- Amadeus, with American Express, breaks new ground with corporate travel consultancy services for SAP Travel Management System
- Amadeus acquires Vacation.com, the largest US marketing network for leisure travel
- Amadeus and Terra Lycos take majority stake in a leading US online travel site Onetravel.com
- Amadeus and Fourth Dimension Software from joint venture, Atinera, to offer complete travel solutions to travel providers, tour operators and wholesalers.
- Amadeus and Qantas Airways sign a 10-year airline IT services agreement
- Amadeus achieves ISO 9001:2000 certification, first GDS to receive this internationally recognised accreditation.
Highlights from previous years
Amadeus introduced the Euro as the currency went live on 1 January 1999. Amadeus successfully books first ticket of the Year 2000. Amadeus begins trading from Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges.
Amadeus voted top System for the sixth consecutive year. Wins fourth silver award for its Hotels Product. ISO 9002 certification awarded. Amadeus successfully consolidates all System One users - the largest migration in the travel distribution industry.
Amadeus launches travel booking website www.amadeus.net
Amadeus reaches 300 million bookings
Amadeus establishes Asia Pacific regional offices in Bangkok. System One, a major US computer reservation system, merges with Amadeus. Continental Airlines becomes shareholder.
Launch of NMC India marks larger step into Asia Pacific.
Creation of Amadeus America, the regional office for South America
Amadeus System is fully operational. Amadeus launches Cars and Hotels product.
Amadeus launches Air Product
Opening of the Amadeus Data Processing Centre in Erding near Munich, Germany.
Amadeus is the first GDS to offer a neutral flight availability display, following EC regulations. One million flights booked through the Amadeus Central System. First meeting of the Amadeus International Travel Agency Advisory Board (TAAB).
First National Marketing Company (NMC) created in Finland.
Founded by Air France, Iberia, Lufthansa and SAS (no longer a shareholder).